Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day Musing

As I sit here with my sweet children, two of which are on Facebook, I appreciate the gift of motherhood. I've been reading some other blogs of friends who are raising toddlers and it makes me think back on the other Mother's Days I've had. The ones where Grant, Ella, and Molly run to me with their Sunday School art projects with beaming eyes saying "I wuv you, mommy!" Molly even brought me one from school this year with a coupon for a mani-pedicure. I looked at her and said, "You would really do this? She replied, "I could at least try???..." I think I may let her off the hook on that one. It would make me queasy to have that hanging over my head, knowing at any moment I could pull a coupon and the next 2 hours would be scraping, filing, massaging, moisturizing, and painting on my mothers hands and feet.


This year, the children gave me a Mother's Day card with a girl sitting on a bench in a white skirt and hot pink Chuck Taylor's. They thought this reminded them of me (funny what your kids really think of you). Grant wrote his sweet sentiments about loving his "momma", Ella said that "I rocked",but the one that made me grin like a Cheshire Cat was Molly's saying. It read, "Mom, thanks for teaching us like you do...like how to shop!" I know, deep down, I have taught her more than this. How to properly tri-fold a towel. How to defrost a pound of meat in a microwave without cooking it. How to maintain proper breathing during running and stay relaxed in your torso. I know there is more I'm passing on to the next generation. But I am written about for how I shop. Ironically, I don't shop a lot. Groceries, yes. But Molly hates that! So, I am assuming it is the immediate break-neck speed I take to the clearance racks for the best deal I can find on last season's styles. Or the way John and I brought home amazing lawn chairs we found in a dumpster and then spray painted to "look" like new. Yes, these are the skills that Mother's Day 10' will be remembered. All to the contemporary tune of "Girls Just Want To Have Fun" playing beside. My kiddos rock!

In other news, I went on a quick two-miler yesterday in an attempt to start the consistent routine. It was good. Not great. But good. Again, loving running is a bittersweet gig. Maybe the weight training will help the running along. At least the Kelly Rippa image I want will be in my head, even if it isn't on my body...

3 comments:

JB, Angie and Ashlyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JB, Angie and Ashlyn said...

Glad to see you're back to the blogging world! Happy Mother's Day.... :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing worth to read this
http://xcltechnologies.com/