Saturday, December 20, 2008

The ox and lamb kept time, puh rump a pum pum...

I'm sort of making fun of Jeanne in this post, but she said this is one of her favorite Christmas Carols. Little Drummer Boy, one of the most atheological Christmas songs ever! We have teased and teased her this week about this at school in all of our Christmas pageantry. I want to know what some of your favorite Christmas carols are, or the consistent 3 of you who read this.

John and I are going to finish Christmas shopping on Monday evening (way to wait for the last minute). He literally has been working around the clock to help his dad get their new clinic opened and I've kind of brow beat him into going. I want the experience, like in the movies when families are in the mall together and they get cider and see children sitting on Santa's lap (after a $5.oo fee). As I'm typing this, I realize this is so stupid and not what the Lord intended for us in the holiday season. Maybe we'll go share the gospel instead...

I'm hoping to get to hang out with some good friend this week with the kids and make cookies and sing carols with Julie's guitar to bring in the holiday season. I saw a glimpse of Mary who's been in Africa and am looking forward to hearing her stories on missions there. I also am looking forward to Amanda being home soon and hearing more about teaching Kindergarten in Brazil.

If you feel like a holiday treat and want to spread good cheer, go to McDonald's a get coffee there and not Starbucks. Its been really busy and I don't want to wait on you anymore. No offense, just really tired.

I didn't tell you what my favorite carol/song/hymn is for Christmas is. There are many so here's a list:
1. What Child is This?
2. Hark, The Herald Angels Sing
3. Go Tell It on the Mountain
4. Silent Night
5. Angels We Have Heard On High (Gloria)
6. Harry Connick Jr. Christmas Album, a must have
7. John's favorite FYI (Do you hear what I hear and O' Come All Ye Faithful)

If I don't get to blog before Christmas, I love you all and am happy that we are all blessed more than we deserve. Merry Christmas!

4 comments:

{ s R e } said...

i see some of my favorites made your list...now, quit blogging and go make me a cappucino.
ps - you talked about running tomorrow...have you seen the weather??? a whopping 27 degree HIGH. but you know i'm game if you are...

amandabolin said...

Well, let me tell you-I am coming to get a caramel apple cider....but no coffee...i'm well addicted to the coffee here and i'm not sure that our "non-octane fuel" version of coffee will suffice (haha).
love those christmas carols.....can i post my list?
O Come, O Come Emmanuel ( Christy Nockels)
O Come All Ye Faithful (oh Red Mountain Church version is a-mazing)

i'm glad you guys are running-i quit because i knew i wouldn't run in the 20 degree weather. but i'm inspired by the group's diligence.

I can't wait to see you guys!!!

btw-have you ever heard a christmas sermon come out of revelation? well, i don't think i ever have..but i did tonight...different!

jenn said...

For Jeanne Caldwell:

I do not blog however...Jennifer e-mails me her blog entries so I feel obligated to read them. Therefore...I must defend myself. I would definitely not characterize Little Drummer Boy as "one of the most atheological Christmas songs ever!" AHHH!!! Jingle Bells, yes!, Roudolph the Red Nose Reindeer, yes!, I saw mommy kissing Santa Clause.... yes!... the list goes on, but does not include Little Drummer Boy.
For lack of a better explanation ...some traditional Christmas carols are very litteral and speak the season's purpose clearly and in your face (with all due respect). The Gift (not the Garth Brooks version) the original version by Aselin Debison, is another of my favorite Christmas songs. Both songs, The Gift and Little Drummer Boy resonate like modern day parables. These two songs tell stories of children, who identify and acknowlege our Saviors birth and want to rejoice and give of themselves .... under their meager circumstances they feel they have nothing worthy of the Chirst child ... in the end one gives the only thing he has...his talent (playing the drum), the other gives a small bird, her only posession (the very first nightingale song). Though not the most "JOY TO THE WORLD" like... these modern day parables make me think of the widow's mite parable... or when Mary broke the vase and poured all the perfume on Jesus. Simple as I am ... this is why I like these Chirstmas songs. They reach down and touch that thoughtful spot about what Chirstmas should be for me. Obvioulsy not EVERYONE has the same songs that touch them in that way...but for me ...these are a couple...(and the whole Behold the Lamb of God CD by Andrew Peterson) I have eclectic musical tastes...OK?!!
Jennifer, the next time you want to use your Biblical word of day calendar (atheological) maybe now you won't mention my name!
Really! John?.... Do you hear what I hear ? That's like the book, Brown Bear, Brown Bear what do you see, ......I see a star looking at me,...... or maybe like a Biblical vesion of the game I spy. "I see something that you don't see and .....it's in the sky".
Merry Christmas Martin Family !! ;)

jenn said...

Jeanne,
one more word for you


ANATHAMA!